Thursday, August 5, 2010

BP1_Google Reader

Google Reader is a really great tool for acquiring tons of information.  While searching for sites that had RSS feeds, I immediately went to some key sites that I visit frequently.  I saw that each of them had RSS feed links.  I copied each into Google Reader, and it was amazing to see the information that came up.  





(A screenshot of my Google Reader)

Here are five RSS feeds that I have subscribed to:
  • http://www.myhammonton.com/?feed=rss2
    • This is a feed that has articles written from my town’s newspaper.  I feel like this was an important site to subscribe to due to the nature of my job in my town, and how I often communicate with local politicians, school administration, and/or just community members in general.  It is important I am on top of the issues in my town, so I am educated and know how to respond to issues when they come to my attention.
  • http://www.keynotesmagazine.com/rss.php
    • This feed is designed by the Conn-Selmer Company.  They are a company that, from my experience, makes incredible instruments and music supplies.  This feed is great for my profession, because it offers many articles about band performance and rehearsals.  It has articles on writing grants to even some lessons for students.  This is a very useful feed for my profession.
  • http://www.feedfire.com/site/rss.cgi?ChanContentId=025922
    • This is a feed from the marching organization, US Scholastic Band Association (USSBA).  This is the organization my marching band marches under.  The feed is great because it has many of the articles that are found on the normal website.  From skimming through them, I noticed information regarding registration dates and changes to the season’s schedule.
  • feed://www.vicfirth.com/features.xml
    • The Vic Firth Company is well known in my profession for their knowledge and inventory of percussion instruments and sticks.  This feed is a wonderful extension of their site because they post great links to percussion videos and information.  From browsing through, I even discovered a free booklet of drumline warm ups.  This is a very useful feed.
Each of these sites, like I said, were great.  They each provided valuable information for my profession.  Another great perk to the reader is that it also syncs with the Google app on my iPhone.  In opening the app, I am able to check out all those articles and posts anytime I want, without the use of my computer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment