Friday, August 13, 2010

BP4_Soundation

I discovered a wonderful Web 2.0 tool called Soundation!  



This site allows the user to actually create music online.  At the top of the creation page, there are meter markings showing the beats in a measure.  On the right hand side is a list of loops already part of the online program.  You can add loop or instrumental tracks.  When working with loop tracks, you can drag the loops to the right, right into the working platform.  You can shorten the length of the loop, copy, paste, modify, and much more.  It even has the workings of panning and other advanced mixing properties.


Web 2.0 tools along with being interactive and creation based tools, are also social tools.  This site allows you to then export your song onto your computer or publish onto the web.  The site generates a site URL in which you can share with your friends.  Here is a link to my little techno song.  You can also export the song to a linked Facebook account.


                             

I can use this in a couple different ways.  Students can go onto the site and build their own piece of music.  The great thing is that they need to have an understanding of meter and rhythm in order to coordinate the loops in proper rhythmic order.  The students can then export the song onto the computer and possibly even upload it on the class Soundcloud account.  This would then sync with the class Rootmusic account, and be published on the Hammonton Music Department Facebook Page for all to see.  This combination of Web 2.0 tools is a great way for the students to be creative, original, and proud of their musical abilities.

3 comments:

  1. I love this application due to the fact that not all students have the budget to buy audio editing software. It is a great tool not only for music class but also to be the author of your own music video, use it as part of a digital story or even build your own podcast. Thanks for sharing this amazing tool! I will definitely use it with my high school students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin,
    Thanks so much for sharing. Even though many of us are not directly music teachers, I have found that whenever I have incorporated the use of music in my classes, the kids just love it. Unfortunately due to the fact that I can't even tap my foot to a beat my poor kids are somewhat limited in terms of my exposing them. I have been fearful or reluctant to approach any type of music creation. But I must say that having a review come directly from someone so knowledgable, eases my nerves about it. In the past I have asked students to come up with lyrics to a song to reflect their knowledge of a given topic, sometimes I even just ask them to change the lyrics to a popular song that is 'hot' at the given time, but I like the idea of giving them the creative space to let them make their own music.

    Although through my experiences I have found that my students are not generally ambitious or committed enough to join any organized school activity, they do have talents that need an outlet. If I can combine the learning areas, I can motivate them to take charge and be creative.

    So thanks for the review, and thanks for finding another choice or option to offer my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a great tool to teach and reinforce musical elements like form, meter, and texture. Since the loops can be manipulated, the student's finished work will reflect their comprehension of how the elements can be put together - and no two pieces will be alike.

    I also like how the interface is similar to more professional audio programs like Audacity and ProTools. When they are ready for the next step in audio editing, the leap will not be a large one.

    My middle school music classes will put this site to good use - thanks!

    ReplyDelete